Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Western Pop Culture: Subtitles for Junior High



My lower lever Junior High kids really appreciate if I show them a music video with Mandarin subtitles at the last few minutes of class. I wish for my enjoyment there was some alternative  and classic rock with Traditional Mandarin subtitles. Until then, they are really liking:

I. Music
1. Taylor Swift with subtitles:  She't not my cup of tea musically, but my students are mesmerized.
2. Alanis Morisette " Guardian Angel"
3. Jason Marz, "Lucky to Have You", "I'm Yours
4. Avril, "Smile", "One republic"
5. Lana Del Rey, "Blue Velvet", "Games", "Summertime Sadness",  "Born to Die"
6. Kylie Minogue "Come Into my World"

However, they did not, nor can appreciate the beautiful voice of Karen Carpenter
7. The Carpenters, "Mr. Postman"

These  two YouTube channels have tons of Chinese subtitled pop music: FanVevo and  HuaTian Western Pop

II. Comedy
I have showed them AFV, but I also found some other comic bits with subs.
 1. AFV: They love America's  Funniest Videos, no translations needed. Sometimes we all need a laugh.
2..American Stand-up Comedy
3. Jimmy Kimmel 


No comments:

Post a Comment