Sunday, May 24, 2015

Tutoring



I am available for tutoring in Yilan. An hour in my home is 700NT, in your home in Yilan City is 800 NT an hour. My schedule is almost filled up so if our schedules don't fit I know competent foreign teachers who are looking for tutoring hours.

I usually start class (or end class) with 15 minutes of conversation using several books I have that reinforce grammar, verb conjugation, and vocabulary based on theme and topics. Then we move onto their main text/reading book. I like to switch it up between non-fiction and fiction.

 Most of my students have little time for homework, so the most they get from me is studying new weekly vocabulary, answering some questions based on the reading and studying for a spelling test. I could give more or less depending on their needs. I have several books of different levels that can be copied or I can make recommendations for parents to order.

Examples of what my private students have studied:

World Climates
Animal Migrations
Trees
Tokyo To Host 2020 Olympic Games
Easter
Kaohsiung Rubber Duck
Robert and the Scariest Night

Recommendations:
1. Depending on the wishes of the parent, I recommend old school methods of  new vocabulary self study (index flashcards and writing the new word in a sentence) or using the computer to study (Study Stack).

2. Instead of watching TV or playing computer games, watch a YouTube video about that week's reading, no more than 20 min long, write a short synopsis about what you watched using new vocabulary.

3. Have a good English-Chinese dictionary.

4. Get the recommended daily amount of sleep and exercise. That means an hour of vigorous exercise everyday and if you are 5-12 years old, that is 10-11 hours of sleep a night or if you are a teenager 8 1/2-9 1/2 hours a night (Harvard School of Public Health).

5. Listen to English music and sing along. I can make recommendations of age and English level appropriate music. This is the easiest and most fun way in my opinion.



No comments:

Post a Comment