Sunday, December 13, 2015

ESL Christmas 2015


Christmas is a time I can recycle older teaching materials and experiences while incorporating something new. I always try and teach the cultural traditions, the Nativity story and sing some carols.  Students of all ages always enjoy making something, some arts and crafts that is age appropriate and dependent on the school's ability to supply the materials.

For my ESL classes I will introduce these 14 vocabulary words, and read, "Christmastime"


We will do an easy crossword, read the First Christmas and break down the parts of the story, and write a Cinquain Christmas poem.

Here are some of the more popular videos, with Chinese subtitles:




(I like to show the original Wham, but of course the teenagers prefer Taylor Swift's cover.)

For the rest of the time leading up to Chinese New Year I also like to teach "How the Grinch Stole Christmas", an age and level appropriate version of Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" and "The Nutcracker.


No comments:

Post a Comment