Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Summer Homework




Yes, I will assign homework to my students. Do I think they will do it? Not everyone, but they have the option to expand their world or not. Watching English movies and TV or listening to English music and singing along, is definitely a fun way to improve a second language, and even writing. And remember, summer vacation is about fun.


 
1. Sign up for Spotify on your home computer for free and start listening to music well-known by the rest of the world. By this, I mean Bob Marley (巴布·馬利) and the Beatles (披頭四樂團) at the very minimum. Feel free to explore from there. Check out what I listen to and follow me. If you don't have a computer, listen to Bob Marley and the Beatles on YouTube with the lyrics.

2. Sign up for a free a one month membership on Netflix 網飛. (Ask your parents first). Watch Stranger Things (怪奇物語) as it's immensely popular all over the world, and also my favorite show at the moment. ST realistically depicts the time during my childhood during the 1980's. The young teenage stars are also the same age as my students. Warning, this show is full of suspense, (not scary), so skittish viewers can watch my next recommendation.

Another popular show is "Anne with an E" which is based on the book series, "Anne of Green Gables (清秀佳人)." 

Also, check out any of the documentaries on Netflix. There are many about the subjects I taught in Social Studies, like about Poverty, Genocide, and the Drug War. 


3. Volunteer somewhere.  Check out this list of local NGOs and see how you can help them out.


Happy Summer!



              Cannabis Wonder Drug Documentary (8th Grade Social Studies Unit on Drug War)

Sources:
https://www.britishcouncil.org/voices-magazine/how-can-film-help-you-teach-or-learn-english
https://www.arcjournals.org/pdfs/ijsell/v3-i2/11.pdf
https://app.griffith.edu.au/explore-student-blog/improve-your-english-watch-movies/
https://www.fluentu.com/blog/english/learn-english-through-songs-music/

No comments:

Post a Comment