Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Buck Rogers and Jet-Packs: A Vision of the Future

What did writers of the past predict about the future? What do we have today that writers did not imagine? What did past writers imagine that we still don't have today? These were our pre-reading questions.


My grade 8A class is starting a new unit about jet-packs and the reading includes an ode to Buck Rogers, the comic book hero of the 1920s. If the students are very good this week, I will show them some "old school" vidoes of the TV show I watched when I was a kid. I tried to explain to them the slang adjective "cheesy", or cliche. I think they will get what cheesy means after a minute of watching Buck Rogers. I doubt they will appreciate it as much as I do.

                             (Disco Dance Scene, doesn't start til a minute into this clip

The reading described two jet-packs on the market today, the Martin Jetpack and the Jetlev Flyer., both expensive and not very efficient.


No comments:

Post a Comment