Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Happy Thanksgiving!


I am making time to teach Thanksgiving to all my classes, because it’s one of my favorite holidays and because teaching kids to say “thank you” and be grateful is always a good lesson. Also cultivating gratitude makes us more positive and developing optimism in the classroom according to neurologists increasing student motivation and creates better problem solving skills. (See "Cultivating Optimism.")

In my K1 Kindergarten, their English is very basic, so if I can have them saying “thank you” in English, I will be happy. I want to teach them a little chant to the tune of 'Frere Jacque', “I am thankful/I am thankful/ Yes I am/Yes I am/ Thankful for my Mommy/Thankful for my Daddy/And our food/ And our food- all with corresponding body movements of course.

In my Elementary school science class, we recently studied Motion, but they didn’t learn about inertia, so I found this Amazing Turkey Egg Experiment to teach them about intertia. We can even do a dance called ATurkey Names Bert, if we have an extra minute.

For my Elementary Reading classes I will take a day or two this month to teach the kids the basic story of Thanksgiving and the main vocabulary words. I want them to do some kind of simple writing activity that both reinforces proper grammar and gets them thinking about gratitude. 



They will also make a craft, a Thankful TreeI will also teach them a simple poem/song, sung to the tune of Ode to Joy. I will show them some videos and see what kinds of questions they have.



For my ESL junior high kids I will devote a week to Thanksgiving and have them learn the more difficult vocabulary words and readings. I also want them to do some basic writing exercises that encourages them to think about why being grateful is important. If my highest level class (G8A) can have a conversation on the political aspects of Thanksgiving, the  historical plight of Native Americans, I will be one grateful teacher!

For both my Junior High and Elementary kids I want them to learn how to say thank you in different languages. I will have the elementary kids make a poster called, “A World of Thanks.”


I want to teach the kids how to watch a video, how to listen for information, the main ideas and details and how to take notes.



Vocabulary for Video Learn American Holidays:

1.     To mark- to show
2.    Winter solstice- shortest day of the year, December 22
3.    Retailer- a person or company that sells  goods
4.    Extent- degree, amount, limit
5.    Feast- large and high quality meal
6.    To round out- make bigger, more complete
7.    To stuff oneself- overeat, eat as much as possible
8.    Pilgrim- someone who travels a long distance
9.    Plethora- large amount
10. Fete- party
11.   To opt- choose
12. Crisp- fresh, refreshing “The crisp autumn air”
13. Diversion- an act to change someone’s attention away from, distraction
14. Uniquely- unlike any other
15. Concept- general idea
16. To span- reaches, extends

Notes for Video:
Thanksgiving is ____________ of the most celebrated holidays. It marks the __________ of the ____________ season; the weeks leading up to ____________, Hanukah, Kwanza and the Winter Solstice. For r_______. Thanksgiving begins their _________ season. Thanksgiving is celebrated on the 4th ________ of N___________.

Questions:
1.     Which president made Thanksgiving a national holiday?
2.    What other countries celebrate Thanksgiving?
3.    What is the traditional Thanksgiving feast?
4.    Where does the traditional Thanksgiving feast come from?
5.    What did the European pilgrims and Native Americans east on the first Thanksgiving?
6.    What sport is watched in the US on Thanksgiving?
7.    Is there a day in your country when you give thanks?
8.    Is there a day in your country when you have a feast with family?
9.    Why might celebrating being thankful important?



Links:


No comments:

Post a Comment